The family is taught that the separation of church and state was sort of a secular exaggeration, and that Jesus did not come to bring peace, he came to take over.”

Those aren’t the words of a fundamentalist preacher. Those are the words of Mark Pryor (D-AR). He, as well as other notable Senators and Congressmen, at some point have each called a quaint tax-free registered church home, C street. C street houses a group of men who believe that God does not work through churches, but rather through those whom the church calls “the new chosen.” (Chosen by God specifically.) These people refuse to pray with “normal ” Christians. These are men who idolize Hitler, Stalin and Mao, as men who understood the New Testament best. They interpret the New Testament to be not about love, but power.

Power. Using religion to gain power. Telling the mindless lemmings what they want to hear about Christianity because they know it will get them elected and increase their power, even though they don’t believe what they espouse. Is this good for America? Is it good that they idolize Osama and Pol Pot for their ability to wield power and feel we should wield power the same way, only in the name of Jesus? The head of the group, David Coe, was an assistant to George W. Bush in the Office of Faith-Based Initiatives. He sees the leaders of the Nazi movement as role models.

A little more perspective on David Coe comes from his father Doug’s explanation of what it means to be a chosen politician. Talking to another man, he said, “Let me explain to you the concept of ‘chosen.’ Suppose I hear you raped three little girls. What would I think of you?”

The man says, “You would think I was awful, a monster.”

And Doug Coe said, “No, I would not, because you’re chosen, and when you’re chosen, the normal rules don’t apply.”

These are the rules some of our elected officials are living by? Coe likens his group to a Christian Mafia. He calls the members “The Family.” He explains that the more invisible the group, the more influential it can be. He categorizes the family’s mission as trickle down fundamentalism. Elite fundamentalism, trickles down to the populous.

Current and former members of The Family include some notables. Some are infamous for their clearly non-Christian behavior, which is excused because they are “chosen.” Mark Sanford (R-SC), John Ensign (R-NV), Sam Brownback (R-KS), Tom Coburn (R-OK), Jim DeMint (R-SC) and Joe Pitts (R-PA) are a few of the chosen. Is this an ideology we want our representatives to support? An ideology that says they are above normal behavior and laws? Not me. And I bet not many of you. There is much more to the story but I don’t want to get long-winded like certain other contributors, so you can read for yourselves:

Does ‘C Street’ Give Accountability Groups a Bad Name?

Behind the Closed Doors on C Street

Sex and power inside “the C Street house”

Enlightened Atheist: The C Street Band

Post navigation

Comments are closed.