The following template was designed for use in communicating with members of state government regarding state sovereignty bills.  A copy of the document can be downloaded by clicking on the link provided to the right under Links.  You can use the Tenth Amendment Center link provided in the BlogRoll to determine whether such a bill has been sponsored in your state and the status thereof. 

I would like to appeal for your assistance in reasserting the sovereign rights of the states, including our beloved state of ­­­­­­­­­­_____________, over the unconstitutional expansion of the federal government.

Amendment X to the United States Constitution states that “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”  Yet as early as 1803 the federal government took upon itself to start interpreting the Constitution through establishment of the doctrine of judicial review in Marbury vs. Madison, thereby recognizing the authority of the courts to declare statutes unconstitutional. 

Since that time there has been an ongoing effort at the federal level to interpret the Constitution in a manner contrary to that intended by our Founding Fathers, usurping the rights of the states.  We now find ourselves in a time where there are efforts in Washington to expand the role of the federal government to unprecedented levels, including expanded authority over education, health care and energy.  We now have federal ownership and management of the U.S. automobile industry and major financial institutions.  We are mortgaging the future of this country under the guise of solving an economic problem that “only the federal government can solve”, when in reality the federal government played a significant role in its creation.   Where does it stop?

The federal government is a creation of the states and is therefore restricted to those roles and rules as laid down by the states in the Constitution.  The states have the right to ignore and to nullify regulations laid down by the federal government which are contrary to what is expressly permitted by the Constitution.  Now is the time for state governments to exercise their constitutional authority over Washington, to take back the powers which belong to them.  An increasing number of states are reasserting their individual states’ rights to sovereignty as guaranteed under Amendment X, and it is time for ­­­­____________ to join this list (OR and I am proud to hear that ­­­­­­­­my beloved state of ­_____________ has joined that list).  I respectfully request that you sponsor a state sovereignty bill (support the state sovereignty bill) and send a clear message to Washington on behalf of the people of ______________ that the era of federal irresponsibility must come to an end.

“Our country is too large to have all its affairs directed by a single government. Public servants at such a distance, and from under the eye of their constituents, must, from the circumstance of distance, be unable to administer and overlook all the details necessary for the good government of the citizens; and the same circumstance, by rendering detection impossible to their constituents, will invite public agents to corruption, plunder and waste.” –Thomas Jefferson to Gideon Granger, 1800. ME 10:167

Thank you for your service.

This post is for information only and as such comments have been turned off.

State Sovereignty Letter

Post navigation

Comments are closed.